December 8, 2010

What you don't know can't hurt you

I used to ponder if I would do the same thing as Faust, trading his soul to learn more about the universal truth. But after having been through some rough patches in life, I've come to the conclusion that ignorance rules! Being naturally skeptical, curious and opinionated, I asked questions all the time. 'Why' and 'What' were my favorite words. Well, still are..

But I've learned the hard way that curiosity kills the cat.. Some things are better left unknown. How I used to love this particular phase of finding out about new knowledge in life. Now? I would love to just happily bask in oblivion and ignorance.

But things are beyond our control sometimes.. even if we'd made the effort of not asking and not telling. When the Pandora's box is opened and the truth's thrown in your face, the question is, how do you cope with it? Cry and deal with the pain? Or bolt out before the real damage is done? I guess the latter sounds more promising..

Well, I think I'd trade my soul afterall, but not like Goethe's version of enlightenment, mine was just a shallow Adam Sandler's remote control of life, with which you can push the buttons 'Pause', 'Rewind' and 'Erase'.

No comments: