June 6, 2012

Why we hold on to the past

I remember, once I couldn't find an answer to a retort passed by a friend, when I asked him why he kept rewinding painful memories and kept holding on to past hurts.
He answered,"You're crazy. I'm not holding on! Which human being wants to hurt themselves?"
That is a very good question.

Since I am lucky enough to have an acute memory loss and ever dying brain cells, I don't really reminisce about the past often. But I know many people who just won't let go, even though they know for sure that those past memories hurt. I never understand why they consciously prefer to hold on to the pain.

Today I found the answer.

People have a hard time letting go of their suffering. Out of a fear of the unknown, they prefer suffering that is familiar. - Thich Nhat Hanh

Word!

No comments: